Due to neural pathways in the brain and behavioral habit patterns, pain can become a habit, making it challenging to sort out and resolve. The best ways to kick the pain habit are to recognize the most common causes and learn the 8 Step Pain Release Process.
Most common reasons (habits) causing people to experience pain:
- Poor posture
- Poor body awareness
- Imbalanced strength and flexibility
- Poor breathing patterns
- Lack of grounding
- Poor sleep hygiene
- Poor nutrition
- Overthinking and overdoing (monkey mind)
- Obsessive worrying and catastrophizing
- Holding onto negative thoughts and emotions
- Early life trauma that has been blocked
- Emotional numbing and dissociation
The Pain Release Process – 8 Steps to Release Pain
- Practice self-responsibility – choose to change your perspective about the pain. Ask for help and take action.
- Root out hidden mental and emotional issues that cause fear and trigger the fight-or-flight response.
- Release past hurts, the need for control and resistance to change – “What you resist persists.”
- Reframe your story – “Name it, Tame it, and Reframe it.” Pain can be a teacher. What is it trying to teach you?
- Rest and reset – balance doing with being.
- Practice self-regulation – recognize the early warning signs and symptoms of stress, keep an eye on your values.
- Retrain mental habits and physical postures contributing to pain.
- Reclaim your power to fully heal – learn to love these parts of us that hurt and practice self-care and self-acceptance.